The Chainlink

Edit: Thanks to Peenologist for the Worst Thread Ever crown.

Edit edit: D'oh! he said Worst Possible Thread, not Worst Thread Ever.

7/17: "was Fight with Gabe" removed from subject line for the sake of beauty, privacy, and security.  Representative images added (too bad threads can't have their own custom avatars):

Picked up on OPCC listserv per Bill W; presumably posted today.

I don't know why Active Trans didn't put a warning out about the previous incident mentioned here.

===

Authored by Tom McGee and posted on the Oak Park Cycle Club facebook page.  :
LAKE STREET WARNING: With the warm weather, and newly added bike lanes on Lake Street, there have been more bike commuters heading into the city...unfortunately, there are some rough neighborhoods people need to cycle through and area street punks see the increase in riders as well.

On my way home from the city to Oak Park last night I was jumped by 2 male teens in an attempt to steal my bike. This occured at Lake & Lavergne. One guy was on the sidewalk, the other hidden behind an L pillar. As I was approaching, I sensed it was bad, but it was too late to react. They came at me from the left and right and pushed me off the bike. I was clipped in and went head first over the handlebars, landing on the right side of my face and shoulder. They did not go for anything but the bike, so when I realized that, I wrestled with them and kept my bike. A motorist stopped to help me, and seeing this they ran.

A number of good samaritans stopped to help me, called 911, and paramedics were on the scene within 10 minutes to get me to the ER. I'm stitched and bumped and bruised, but it could have been a lot worse.

I strongly suggest that riders get the word out to friends who commute, try to ride w/others (there are a number of group rides to/from the loop from what I've heard), and try not to ride too early or too late when other people may not be around to help. 

I've already spoken with John Lankford, Bikeways Campaign Coordinator w/Active Transporation Alliance. He said there was a similar incident on Lake the morning of Bike The Drive. So they are aware of the problem, and will be approaching people @ CDOT and the city to try and address it.

Ride safe,
Tom McGee

==

Views: 6621

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Guys, don't waste a minute replying to this turd burger on his site. This is just a different way of trolling for people to come to his site. O, The west side is a shit hole. Post it anywhere you like. Feel free to continue to ignore my buddy Pat's post, who is from the west side. Make up identities for everyone on the Chainlink. Without a face put to that name of yours you are nothing but words in the void. And you think you've taken some sort of stand against "bile" but really you just want attention. You'll get it sadly, but you're not gonna like it.

Yes, O, I am a conservative and an authority-worshiper like Micheal Savage.  See me wave my flag and eat at Chuck-full-A Hate restaurants. 

Perhaps I'm more like Dan Savage...

Maybe we can do a DS job on O like he did to Santorum?  Let's have a competition to come up with the best re-appropriation of his multiple personalities/names here on The Chainlink

I'm grateful to Kevin for exposing "O" and his past agenda.  Regrettably I didn't heed his advice before engaging.

No objections here about the content of the instructions being taught.  The issue is a persistent condescending approach in "O's" replies.

As for the invitation to ride Butterfield Rd, you were politely being baited to, "Go play in traffic kid."

I've got to hop on a bike now, best part of a work day.

No, it is not.

In both 'the chainlink enforcers' and 'bicycle is not a nose ring' posts it shows as 'comments are closed' so maybe you might want to re-check your work there.

Of course none of this address the real issue here which is I want you to take down the stuff I wrote that you pirated.  I do not post here to provide content for your shitty website.  I have asked you this several times via different channels and you have completely ignored my requests. 

O said:

At the bottom of each blog entry you will find this box:

Enter away. I know that Spencer Thayer did a while ago so it has to be working.

notoriousDUG said:

I did try, comments were closed on the post I wished to comment on.

O said:

You can comment. The folks from Orlando Commute did this AM. In fact twice. Try it.

notoriousDUG said:

I have a very, very clear message for 'O' right here and now and I want him to perk up and pay attention:

If I EVER see you posting my words out of context, using my name or likeness on your blog and/or posting to/about me on a forum where I cannot respond to them you and I are going to have a very, very serious problem...

Oh, wait a little bit of research has shown me you are already playing this game...

Take that shit down or open your comments to allow those you are quoting and responding to a chance to respond back and defend themselves.  We allow you to continue to respond to our comments here, why do you not offer us the same courtesy on your website? 

WE ARE CHAINLINK
LOWER YOUR SHILEDS AND SURRENDER YOUR WEAPONS

WE WILL ABSORB YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS INTO OUR OWN

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

O said:

Once again Gerry, the animations and the approach is not mine. It is being offered by the Florida Bicycle Association in conjunction with the OrlandoCommuter.com website. Now if you have a beef with their approach you can always trot your fingers over to their website and scroll down to the comments section and blast away.

The real irony here is that this group has suddenly gone from being sympathetic with the plight of Anika when a policeman tried to curtail the very practice that you now think is unwise. If this group could ever stop being contrarian long enough to find a common approach and stick with it longer than a single thread that would be great.

But from my viewpoint your collective wisdom shifts with each and every thread. No wonder the cops are viewed as capricious when not even Chicago Cyclists can agree on what they really believe. If you say you support national and statewide cycling organizations which are affiliated in large part with groups like ATA you really must have been aware of the influence of the thinking and writing of John Forester (author of Effective Cycling). And that would have meant that the "take the lane" approach would be common knowledge to this group.

Now if you have issues with the "take the lane" approach (especially in high volume, high speed corridors like Butterfield when under construction) then do your crying on the shoes of those who authored the idea and who continue to push it.

Unless things have changed becoming a League Certified Instructor means that you know the contents of the book mentioned and you actually teach from it to both newbie and experienced cyclists. Evidently the Chicago Cycling world has somehow become an ice berg calved into their own portion of the sea and proud of it.

Fine. It helps to know your position. It would mean that the decades of teaching, training and knowledge gathering done by all of those irrelevant cyclist over 40 years of age can be jettisoned for some as yet uncodified set of Rules of the Mean Streets.

Gerry G said:

Road construction you say?  Perfect circumstances and timing for you to demo what you think you know.  

O said:

As you well know that stretch is under construction. We are having two additional lanes added. 

"I hope it feels good... I hope it feels so good to be right. There's nothing so exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?"  -Randal.

Well, this is the last time I rent here!

mike w. said:

"I hope it feels good... I hope it feels so good to be right. There's nothing so exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?"  -Randal.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service