The Chainlink

For whatever reason I was looking around on Craigslist today at used bikes and found that a good working condition bike under $200 looked awfully hard to come by.  Does anyone else feel like the low end market for a sturdy ride just doesn't exist in Chicago?  

Views: 923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Plus you have to consider the cost of putting most used bikes on the market.  A portable grinder costs something.  The grinding wheels have to be replaced.   The cost of the van and the gas to drive around looking for "used" bicycles.  The cost of disposing of used bicycles that are determined not to be salable.   The cost of bail.   Lots of extra costs.

Yep. Supply and demand. Plus, Chicago is a huge city with an ever expanding bike culture. 

If you have a car, you may want to check out Milwaukee's craigslist. I routinely see some pretty good deals pop up now and again. They've got pretty good supply and not nearly as much demand.

I've actually never bought a bike in the summer - only fall and winter. My singlespeed Miyata that I'm currently riding was originally purchased for $100 a few days before Christmas in 2009. The guy even threw in a new kryptonite ulock, still in the package with the deal, and my search of stolenbike.org didn't show this serial number. I think timing is everything.

$200 for a nice working bike in good shape is a good price, you're just cheap.

wait, $200 for a WHOLE bike?  huh?

cost of doing business...

Crazy David 84 Furlongs said:

Plus you have to consider the cost of putting most used bikes on the market.  A portable grinder costs something.  The grinding wheels have to be replaced.   The cost of the van and the gas to drive around looking for "used" bicycles.  The cost of disposing of used bicycles that are determined not to be salable.   The cost of bail.   Lots of extra costs.

Yes!

Working Bikes, Blackstone, Recyclery, West Town Bikes shop...
I have never bought from there, but I have heard decent things about Nearly New.


Also, really depends on what your looking for...cruiser, mixte, load bearing work horse, 10 speed shiny retro Fred bike, track...etc.

There are also the bike swaps, but the spring one and done.


peter moormann said:

Maybe Blackstone or Working bikes would be a good place for you to look?

Wait til winter if you want a deal.

Most folks dont ride if it's below 75degrees, so the demand goes down as the temperature drops.

When I bought a bike in DC last summer I was very surprised to find that (as far as I could determine) the city had no equivalent to Working Bikes/Blackstone. Made me really appreciate what we have here.

And those people are cheap and usually end up spending more to fix the pile of parts they got a 'deal' on then just buying a decent bike.

Evan said:

it's a fair price but you know some people just won't buy unless it's a "deal"


notoriousDUG said:

$200 for a nice working bike in good shape is a good price, you're just cheap.

A single 30 day bus pass is now $100.  Back and forth on the train 40 times is $200.  A couple hundred bucks on a bike pays for itself pretty quick. 

But if you must though know that these things die pretty quick, I did the disposable Schwinn thing for a bit and these things pretty much implode in a year and a half or 2 years though if a bike mechanic reads this what is the pro-repair opinion of these bikes.

Agreed:
notoriousDUG said:

$200 for a nice working bike in good shape is a good price, you're just cheap.

Comparing that piece of crap to a decent used bike for 200-250 is like apples to oranges.  Only a sucker buys one of those chunks of feces and tries to ride it as transportation; it'll implode in no time.

Haddon said:

A single 30 day bus pass is now $100.  Back and forth on the train 40 times is $200.  A couple hundred bucks on a bike pays for itself pretty quick. 

But if you must though know that these things die pretty quick, I did the disposable Schwinn thing for a bit and these things pretty much implode in a year and a half or 2 years though if a bike mechanic reads this what is the pro-repair opinion of these bikes.

Agreed:
notoriousDUG said:

$200 for a nice working bike in good shape is a good price, you're just cheap.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service