The Chainlink

Hi, I'm a cyclist and reporter at WBEZ's Curious City.  I'm working on a story about bike traffic laws.  Are bike traffic laws being enforced in Chicago?  I'm looking for bikers to share their experiences either being ticketed or stopped by CPD.

Call us and leave a message at (1-888-789-7752) or look for me at Critical Mass this Friday, where I'll be biking around with a microphone and gathering stories.

- John Fecile

@johnfecile

@WBEZCuriousCity 

Views: 1603

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, I found your topic interesting/amusing in light of what I saw as i walked to my office in the loop this morning. I was standing at Washington and LaSalle and saw a bicycle cop handle his bike well but handle  it at a   higher speed than I expected through a crowded intersection against a red light during the morning rush hour.  He avoided a car coming across the intersection in a way that would be casually easy for a messenger and kind  of scary for a novice. I thought to myself, "good rider, bad modeling" as I crossed the street after my light had  turned  green.

Yeah, that's interesting, there are different levels of perceived danger for differently experienced riders.  When I was a delivery biker, I definitely was more willing to take risks while biking.

I've seen this sort of thing among police whether they're riding or driving. They've got special training to be able to handle situations most of us would never experience, but often do things in their travels that alienate regular folks to some degree.

Hi John,

Chicago doesn't have any bike specific traffic laws outside of a few such as no riding on the sidewalk. Laws that apply to motor vehicles are supposed to apply to bikes riding on streets. My observation is that CPD doesn't enforce traffic laws violated by cyclists any more or less than they do those violated by motorists. In other words hardly ever. Yes I know a few people that have received tickets for running a red light while biking but it rarely happens. 

9-52-010  Rights and duties.
   (a)   Every bicyclist upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by the laws of this state declaring rules of the road applicable to vehicles or by the traffic ordinances of this city applicable to the driver of a vehicle, except as otherwise explicitly provided in this Code, or as to those provisions of laws and ordinances which by their nature can have no application.
   (b)   The regulations in the traffic code applicable to bicycles shall apply whenever a bicycle is operated upon any roadway or public sidewalk or upon any public path set aside for the use of bicycles, subject to those exceptions stated herein.
   (c)   Whenever authorized signs are erected indicating that no right or left turn or turn in the opposite direction is permitted, no bicyclist shall disobey the direction of any such sign unless he dismounts from the bicycle to make the turn, in which event he shall then obey the regulations applicable to pedestrians.
   (d)   Unless another fine or penalty is specifically provided in this chapter, any person who violates this chapter shall be fined not less than $50.00 nor more than $200.00 for each offense.
(Added Coun. J. 7-12-90, p. 18634; Amend Coun. J. 11-5-08, p. 43682, § 1; Amend Coun. J. 6-5-13, p. 54983, § 1)

Bookmark9-52-020  Riding bicycles on sidewalks and certain roadways.
   (a)   Unless the prohibition imposed by subsection (c) applies, a person may ride a bicycle upon a sidewalk within a business district, but only if such sidewalk has been officially designated and marked as a bicycle route, or such sidewalk is used to enter the nearest roadway, intersection or designated bicycle path, or to access a bicycle share station.
   (b)   Unless the prohibition imposed by subsection (c) applies, a person 12 or more years of age may ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk in any district, but only if such sidewalk has been officially designated and marked as a bicycle route, or such sidewalk is used to enter the nearest roadway, intersection or designated bicycle path, or to access a bicycle share station.
   (c)   Bicycles shall not be operated on Lake Shore Drive or on any public way where the operation of bicycles has been prohibited and signs have been erected indicating such prohibition.
(Added Coun. J. 7-12-90, p. 18634; Amend Coun. J. 6-5-13, p. 54983, § 1; Amend Coun. J. 9-11-13, p. 59827, § 1)

Bookmark9-52-021  Riding on North Sheridan Road sidewalk prohibited.
   (a)   No person 12 or more years of age shall ride a bicycle on the sidewalk adjacent to North Sheridan Road, between West Ardmore Avenue and West Sheridan Road (6400 north).  The penalty for any person age 18 and older who violates this section shall be a fine of $200.
   (b)   In accordance with Section 9-52-020(c), the commissioner of transportation is authorized to erect and maintain signage which gives notice of the prohibition in subsection (a) of this section.  No person shall be found in violation of this section unless the required signage has been posted.
(Added Coun. J. 2-6-02, p. 79154, § 1; Amend Coun. J. 6-4-03, p. 2538, § 1; Amend Coun. J. 9-11-13, p. 59827, § 1)

Bookmark9-52-030  Speed of bicycles.
   No person shall operate a bicycle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions then existing.
(Added Coun. J. 7-12-90, p. 18634)

Bookmark9-52-040  Yielding right-of-way.
   (a)   The operator of a bicycle emerging from an alley, driveway or building shall, upon approaching a sidewalk or the sidewalk area extending across any alleyway, yield the right-of-way to all pedestrians approaching on the sidewalk or sidewalk area and, upon entering the roadway, shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles approaching on the roadway.
   (b)   Whenever any person is riding a bicycle upon a sidewalk, such person shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian and shall give audible signal before overtaking and passing such pedestrian.
   (c)   Except as otherwise provided in subsection (e) of this section, any bicyclist upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as near as practicable and safe to the right-hand side of the roadway, except in the following circumstances:
      (1)   when overtaking another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction; or
      (2)   when preparing for a left turn; or
      (3)   when reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge.  For purposes of this subsection, the term “substandard width lane” means a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane; or
      (4)   when approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.
   (d)   Any bicyclist upon a roadway is permitted to pass on the right side of a slower-moving or standing vehicle or bicycle, but must exercise due care when doing so.  When approaching a vehicle which has discharged passengers from its right side, a bicyclist must either yield to those pedestrians or pass on the left.
   (e)   Any person operating a bicycle upon a one- way roadway with two or more marked traffic lanes may
ride as near to the left-hand side of such roadway as practicable.
(Added Coun. J. 7-12-90, p. 18634; Amend Coun. J. 6-5-13, p. 54983, § 1)

Bookmark9-52-045  Bicycle operator's signals - Hand and arm - Manner.
   A bicyclist upon the roadway or upon any public path set aside for the use of bicycles shall give hand and arm signals in the following manner:
   1.   Left turn, left hand and arm extended horizontally;
   2.   Right turn, left hand and arm extended upward, or right hand and arm extended horizontally;
   3.   Stop or decrease speed, left or right hand and arm extended downward.
(Added Coun. J. 6-5-13, p. 54983, § 1)

Bookmark9-52-050  Riding in single file required – Exceptions.
   Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall ride single file except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles or except when riding two abreast does not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.  Persons riding two abreast shall ride within a single lane subject to Section 9-52-040 of this Code.
(Added Coun. J. 7-12-90, p. 18634; Amend Coun. J. 6-5-13, p. 54983, § 1)

Bookmark9-52-060  Carrying articles on bicycles.
   No person operating a bicycle shall carry any package, bundle or article which prevents the rider from keeping at least one hand upon the handlebars.

Bookmark9-52-070  Parking.
   No person shall park a bicycle upon a street other than upon the roadway against the curb or upon the sidewalk against a rack, parking meter or sign pole to support the bicycle or against a building or at the curb in such manner as to afford the least obstruction to pedestrian traffic.
(Added Coun. J. 7-12-90, p. 18634; Amend Coun. J. 7-21-04, p. 28659, § 1)

Bookmark9-52-071  Abandoned bicycles.
   (a)   It shall be unlawful for any person to abandon any bicycle on any public way within the city. A bicycle shall be deemed abandoned if it: (1) is in such a state of disrepair as to be incapable of being operated in its present condition, or (2) has not been moved or used in more than seven days and bears physical indicia of having been deserted.
   (b)   Any bicycle deemed abandoned pursuant to subsection (a) of this section may have a notice affixed to it which informs the bicycle's owner that the bicycle appears to be abandoned. The commissioner of transportation or his designee is authorized to affix such notices upon bicycles. This notice shall indicate:
      (1)   a telephone number for the owner to call to inform the department of transportation that the bicycle is not abandoned; and
      (2)   the date after which the bicycle may be removed if it is not claimed by its owner.
   A bicycle shall not be deemed to be abandoned if the owner of the bicycle, within seven days of the affixing of a notice of abandonment, notifies the department of transportation that the bicycle is not abandoned.
   (c)   If a bicycle is not relocated or claimed by its owner within seven days of the affixing of a notice of abandonment, that bicycle may be removed and disposed of by the commissioner of transportation or his designee.
(Added Coun. J. 7-21-04, p. 28659, § 1)

Bookmark9-52-080  Headlamps, reflectors and brakes.
   (a)   Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a head lamp which shall emit a white light visible from a minimum distance of 500 feet from the front and with a rear red reflector capable of reflecting the head lamp beams of an approaching motor vehicle back to the operator of such vehicle at distances up to 200 feet or a rear lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear.
   (b)   Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake that will enable the operator to make the braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

Bookmark9-52-090  Riding regulations.
   (a)   A person propelling a bicycle shall not ride other than astride a permanent and regular seat attached thereto.
   (b)   No bicycle shall be used to carry more persons at one time than the number for which it is designed and equipped.

Bookmark9-52-100  Parents or legal guardians responsibility.
   No parent or legal guardian of any child shall authorize or knowingly permit the child to violate any of the provisions of this chapter applicable to bicycles.

Bookmark9-52-110  Use of communication devices while operating a bicycle.
   (a)   For purposes of this section only, the following definitions apply:
      “Communication device” means a device, including but not limited to a wireless telephone, personal digital assistant, or a portable or mobile computer, which is designed to transmit and receive electronic messages.
      “Electronic message” means a self-contained piece of digital communication that is designed or intended to be transmitted between communication devices.  An “electronic message” includes, but is not limited to electronic mail, a text message, an instant message, a command or request to access an internet site, or talking or listening to another person on the telephone or other communication device.
      “Using” means composing, reading, sending or listening to an electronic message.
   (b)   Except as otherwise provided in subsection (c) of this section, no person shall operate a bicycle while using a communication device.
   (c)   The provisions of this section shall not apply to a:
      (1)   law enforcement officer or other emergency responder, when on duty and acting in his official capacity;
      (2)   person using a communication device with a “hands free” device or in a voice-activated mode, which allows the person to talk into and listen to the other party without the use of hands;
      (3)   person using a communication device for the sole purpose of reporting an emergency situation and continued communication with emergency personnel during the emergency situation; or
      (4)   person using a communication device while maintaining a bicycle in a stationary position.
   (d)   Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be fined not less than $20.00 nor more than $50.00 for the first offense, not less than $50.00 nor more than $75.00 for the second offense, and not less than $75.00 nor more than $100.00 for a third or any subsequent offense.
   (e)   In addition to any fine provided for in this section, if a violation of subsection (b) of this section occurs at the time of a traffic accident, the person operating the bicycle may be fined in an amount not to exceed $500.00.
(Added Coun. J. 10-5-11, p. 8815, § 1; Amend Coun. J. 6-5-13, p. 54983, § 1)

Thanks for posting that, really helpful.

More interesting (to me, anyway) is enforcement of laws intended to protect cyclists from cars, such as the 3' passing rule and the rather steep fines against driving or stopping in bike lanes. A few years ago, a journalist did a FOIA request and found that no tickets were being issued. I'd love to see that research updated.

Thanks.  Do you have a link to that story?

Very much agree. 

Are you joking? The police do not know the rules of the road regarding bicycles. The only time that they attempt to do so, is when they're conducting a sting operation on the North side of Chicago. For the most part they break the laws themselves. LOL!!!!!!!

Do you know what intersections specifically they tend to conduct those stings?

I received my first moving violation (guilty) on a bicycle in Chicago about 20 years ago.  Did they ever stop?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service