The Chainlink

I'm thinking we could leave early on a Saturday, stay the night, and then head back Sunday afternoon. It's about 50 miles, so probably take 5 hours or so. I've never ridden it, so if anyone has a path or suggestions, post em!

Maybe last weekend in May or First in June...?

Views: 829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

so, im a go. cept im in hammond, indiana and i wont be at the fountain in the morning. i guess maybe ill just head north towards the fountain at 8 then, kinda meet yous in the middle or something..

im guessing your route down will be LFP> south shore drive > down mackinaw or whatever > detour around the bridge to the other bridge > Ewing > indianapolis blvd(burnham gway)> gway > wolf lake(powers rec area) hitch around through the side streets to boy scout road> johnson(sohl) > erie path ?

or were you gonna shoot burnham south to state st in cal city and pickup the erie path at the beginning in downtown hammond?
Okay....So Friday group is meeting at 12:30 at fountain. I believe the northsiders are meeting up at noon or so to ride down there together. Saturday group meets at 8am at fountain. I am going tomorrow to pick up some NWI bike maps from active trans office...Those should get us to all the bike paths, which will get us to the dunes!
Julie Hochstadter said:
Jamimaria, what time are you planning on arriving to the camp

I'm probably going to be coming pretty late on Sunday. Rachel doesn't get out of school until 7, so we'll probably leave around then. We'd probably arrive at the camp around 8:30.
looks like friday is shapping up to be a better day to ride anyway...slight chance of rain on sat and sun. but shit changes. im working on bribing mother earth with some more plastic to push the rain back a lil bit.
And when I say "sunday" I meant Saturday...Sorry about that! Again, I'm driving down. Let me know if you want me to haul any sleeping bags or sleeping pads or tents.

jamimaria said:
Julie Hochstadter said:

I'm probably going to be coming pretty late on Sunday. Rachel doesn't get out of school until 7, so we'll probably leave around then. We'd probably arrive at the camp around 8:30.
erick and i are driving down on friday as well to drop off tents, coolers, sleeping bags..whatnot. leaving around 5:30 pm.
Dan, we can try to figure something out for meeting up with you.

Everyone....I'll give a tally tomorrow of who is going for sure and who needs to bring their tents. anyone who wants us to take your stuff... let us know so you can get your stuff to us tomorrow and friday afternoon. we live in logan square if you are droppin it off. otherwise your hauling your stuff on yo bikes :)

jamimaria said:
And when I say "sunday" I meant Saturday...Sorry about that! Again, I'm driving down. Let me know if you want me to haul any sleeping bags or sleeping pads or tents.

jamimaria said:
Julie Hochstadter said:

i had to have an emergency tooth extraction today...awsome is not what im thinking...but im still riding friday. ill just have a big hole in my head. :)

shar said:
erick and i are driving down on friday as well to drop off tents, coolers, sleeping bags..whatnot. leaving around 5:30 pm.
Dan, we can try to figure something out for meeting up with you.

Everyone....I'll give a tally tomorrow of who is going for sure and who needs to bring their tents. anyone who wants us to take your stuff... let us know so you can get your stuff to us tomorrow and friday afternoon. we live in logan square if you are droppin it off. otherwise your hauling your stuff on yo bikes :)

jamimaria said:

jamimaria said:
Julie Hochstadter said:

see u guys at the water thing in a bit. ill try to be there earlier..noonish.
Spoke to a friend whos done the ride before...It's about 8 hours riding at a leisurely pace. So if we leave before 1pm, we'll get to the dunes around 9pm (10pm Indiana time)
your friend in a wheel chair? 60 miles dosnt = 8 hours. i could walk that...if my strides were like really big and fast. even with a coupld stops it should take 6 hours tops. but then again youll prolly have 14 flats and my wheels will fall off. what ever. we'll see. we have a smaller grp to so less can go wrong. maybe?

Lindsay E. Stout said:
Spoke to a friend whos done the ride before...It's about 8 hours riding at a leisurely pace. So if we leave before 1pm, we'll get to the dunes around 9pm (10pm Indiana time)
so this was a great time. but...let me tell you that i had about 100 flats due to a skrewy issue with my rear wheel. just shy of 68 miles one way. only 2 flats on the way back...need to take my wheels in and have them looked at for sure.

also the return trip was decent and we made good time even tho i had a flat and we stopped for food in highland...and there was a killer head wind on the lake shore trail. over all it was great.

bretts new nick name is zippy. or mr zippy...josh is now known as zesty....

i would also like to thank Woody. or Mr. Woody....that man is nothing short of amazing. thank you so much for your kindness and food and beer.
Mr. Zippy here.

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend. Definitely huge thanks to Woody for the awesome cookout, and for showing us what a REAL air mattress looks like.

And huge thanks to Dan for guiding Anne and I to Hammond today. He knew all the cool shortcuts and we even did some cyclocross through the "under development" sections of the bike trail.

And last but not least, huge thanks to Iggy and Shar for hauling up food and cookware on Friday, and to Jami for hauling our camping gear back to Chicago today. The return trip was way more fun without 35lbs of crap zip-tied to my bike!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service