The Chainlink

Anyone know how and where to recycle bike tires and tubes?

I received the following today:

> I'm planning on attending the expo this weekend and was wondering if you
> were accepting old worn-out bike tires and tubes (none of them useable
> any longer) for recycling.  The tubes have been cut into smaller pieces
> (such as lengths of 12 inches) because at the time I did that, I didn't
> think the valves were recyclable.  I now know that tubes are more
> recyclable when left whole.  Please let me know--I have a hefty bag full
> of tubes and a few dozen tires and would be very happy to keep them out
> of the waste stream if possible--

I know this comes up now and then but I usually lose interest after the third time someone erroneously declares that Working Bikes wants them, and I guess if there's an answer I never hear it.

Thanks for any info-- told the guy I'd research it and get back to him.

Views: 2827

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

h3n3
I heard that old tubes were cut up and used as black arm bands in the "Ride of Silence".
Are they useful in this way?
get a grip cycles used to accept them for recycling. dont know if they still do.
How about LBS? The car tire shops may take them. I think there's a recycling charge when you buy car tires and leave the old behind but maybe they will take them out of the goodness of their heart.
I made the armbands for the Arlington Heights & Chicago rides of silence and, yes, they were made from old inner-tubes, but I can get more than enough inner-tubes from Working Bikes, Rapid Transit & Blue City Cycles, etc.

And, no, Working Bikes doesn't need any more inner-tubes or trashed tyres, thanks!

Alchemy Goods in Seattle used to take old inner-tubes, but I don't think they do any more as they have a more than adequate local supplies. The make bags, etc., from recycled inner-tubes.

Old bicycle tyres are a problem: I've never found anyone who wants them, even though I have heard rumours that - for example - REI in St Louis used to give them to a cement works that burnt them as fuel?

If anyone DOES know of anybody who wants (as opposed to takes, if you pay them) old tyres, please let us know - as well as Working Bikes I know of several local bike shops that are always wondering what to do with them ...
Instructables has many ideas for the use of old inner tubes.

http://www.instructables.com/id/10-of-1000-Uses-for-Old-Bicycle-Tubes/
Thanks, Alan.
While we've got you, what else does Working Bikes =not= need?
I continually see suggestions that you'll be happy to accept junk frames and random components-- would be interested in your take on that as my impression is that you're really looking for whole bikes, primarily.

Alan Lloyd said:
I made the armbands for the Arlington Heights & Chicago rides of silence and, yes, they were made from old inner-tubes, but I can get more than enough inner-tubes from Working Bikes, Rapid Transit & Blue City Cycles, etc.

And, no, Working Bikes doesn't need any more inner-tubes or trashed tyres, thanks!

Alchemy Goods in Seattle used to take old inner-tubes, but I don't think they do any more as they have a more than adequate local supplies. The make bags, etc., from recycled inner-tubes.

Old bicycle tyres are a problem: I've never found anyone who wants them, even though I have heard rumours that - for example - REI in St Louis used to give them to a cement works that burnt them as fuel?

If anyone DOES know of anybody who wants (as opposed to takes, if you pay them) old tyres, please let us know - as well as Working Bikes I know of several local bike shops that are always wondering what to do with them ...
I wouldn't like to discourage donations by listing things that Working Bikes does NOT want but, as you note, complete bicycles are perhaps more useful than bits & pieces - but junk frames can always be stripped and random components used to repair or build up other bikes.

One thing we can never get too much of is vounteers!

H3N3 said:
Thanks, Alan.
While we've got you, what else does Working Bikes =not= need?
I continually see suggestions that you'll be happy to accept junk frames and random components-- would be interested in your take on that as my impression is that you're really looking for whole bikes, primarily.

Alan Lloyd said:

Thanks for spelling this out, Alan. I have a BOATLOAD of used tires/tubes in good condition taking up space in my basement that I have been saving for Working Bikes and a small box of spare parts as well. Unfortunately my 7-day a week work schedule has been preventing me from coming in to donate or volunteer. I have been meaning to arrange to leave work early to stop by for one of the Tuesday sessions, but work is CRAZY now.
Used tyres in good condition are, of course, always useful - I was thinking people wanted to recycle tyres that were no longer usuable.

I also heard of a church-supported organisation taking a load of semi-decent tyres from a local bike shop recently to use on the bikes they fix up and maintain for what I think it was a homeless shelter?

Inner-tubes that are patchable are also welcome, one of my pastimes!

Primitive Don said:
Thanks for spelling this out, Alan. I have a BOATLOAD of used tires/tubes in good condition taking up space in my basement that I have been saving for Working Bikes and a small box of spare parts as well. Unfortunately my 7-day a week work schedule has been preventing me from coming in to donate or volunteer. I have been meaning to arrange to leave work early to stop by for one of the Tuesday sessions, but work is CRAZY now.
Alan Lloyd said:
I was thinking people wanted to recycle tyres that were no longer usuable.
I'd like to find out too; I end up pitching a lot of unusable tires.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service