The Chainlink

Another brilliant Aldermanic proposal-- $25 license and mandatory safety course for all cyclists in Chicago

Got a call from a Trib journalist for a reaction.... 3rd ward alderwoman, no time to look up the name which I'm blocking on. Sometimes this job interferes with my internet usage...

Anyone got anything?

How many times have we been here before....

Views: 2650

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not to be outdone, East side alderman Frederic Ripley (51st) has proposed that all pedestrians in Chicago, both residents and non-residents, be required to purchase an annual pedestrian license and display it on the front of their outermost piece of clothing at all times when not traveling by vehicle within the city boundaries.  Ripley said, "A $20 pedestrian license will easily balance the city budget given Chicago's resident population and the many millions of visitors to our city.  Since the airports are owned by the city, all travelers disembarking flights at O'Hare and Midway airports will have to purchase a pedestrian license before entering the terminal even if they are only in transit."

Had me for a second, there! Well done.  I suspect that Alderman Ripley is all wet.

djm said:

Not to be outdone, East side alderman Frederic Ripley (51st) has proposed that all pedestrians in Chicago, both residents and non-residents, be required to purchase an annual pedestrian license and display it on the front of their outermost piece of clothing at all times when not traveling by vehicle within the city boundaries.  Ripley said, "A $20 pedestrian license will easily balance the city budget given Chicago's resident population and the many millions of visitors to our city.  Since the airports are owned by the city, all travelers disembarking flights at O'Hare and Midway airports will have to purchase a pedestrian license before entering the terminal even if they are only in transit."

Tanning Enthusiasts, hands down.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Looks like it's time to for our annual game of find a way to nickel and dime the other guy. What group without a large political power base is going to end up paying more this year? Cyclists? Smokers? Cable TV Viewers? Alcoholics? Drivers? Tourists? Tanning Enthusiasts? Junk Food Eaters? The list of possible narrowly focused fees that aren't technically tax increases is limited only by the aldermanic imagination. Coming up with creative new fees is way more fun than honestly discussing the city's finances.

In fact a *lot* of Chicagoans do not either pay to register their car here nor do they buy the sticker.  Excuses regularly made are:

1. I park in a private garage and the sticker is only for those who park on the streets overnight
  2. My car is registered at my parents house.
  3. My parents own the car (and it's registered at their house)
  4. I don't wanna.  Make me. 

A while back the Sun Times actually sent some investigative reporters into Gold Coast high-rises, I can't find it, but it is referenced here:

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/sticker-stalkers/Content?oid=9...

notoriousDUG said:

You don't pay for registration for your car?  Or a city sticker?

Ava Ensign said:

This is proposed as a yearly fee. You don't even have to pay that to drive a car! I think it's ludicrous. Also, she states in the article that she wants it to replace the cable television tax hike. Yet again, I am disappointed to an extreme degree in the politicians of Chicago.

Paul Gnarlo said:

I would happily pay this fee to ride my bike in chicago if we had a full comprehensive dedicated/protected bike lane system throughout chicagoland just as cars do for roads. Because after all, bikes are just like cars right?

If they install an elevated bicycle transportation system, then I will gladly fork over $$.$0 for the licensing of my pony to ride those rails through the wild west side protected from a blistering cold snowy day. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service