The Chainlink

I want to bike to my Safe Passage assignment early tomorrow morning, from Andersonville to South Austin.  I searched previous threads (now closed) and found recommendations to take Augusta, Washington/Warren or Armitage as my east to west street.  Anyone done any of these lately? Also, I noticed at least two bike commuters on Laramie near Jackson this morning.  Is Laramie good for commuting?

Views: 245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Damen to Washington is my two cents, though I haven't done Washington west of Damen in about a year. Nice bike lanes on Washington all the way to Oak Park. Safety-wise, I personally would not be concerned that early in the morning.

I would, however, take a look at some of the "safe school" routes.   My understanding is that, at the moment, that Wasington Blvd happens to be a major point of contention/is a dividing line in a major gang war on the West Side.  The Tribune reported that it had been designated a "safe school" route and that this was a point of contention due to the gang war focusing on that particular spot.   

I noticed all those 'Safe Passage" crossing signs the other day on my commute home. I take Odgen all the way from downtown to 'burb Cicero. Only in Chicago could this sort of thing happen. Why can't the Ceasefire guys help out with these "crossings"? They got a million dollar grant from the feds. Yaj, I would be on high alert when biking because the West side is not Andersonville. I saw the aftermath of a shooting on Odgen & Kedzie and it really shook me up.

When I bike from Albany Park to Oak Park I like to use Diversey going west all the way to Oak Park Ave. (Not sure if there would be a good north-south street to get you to south Austin, though).....returning home I use Roscoe for much of the way going west--more quiet residential....

I'm happy to report that the Damen to Washington to Laramie route worked well this morning.  I had no problems on the Washington or Warren bike lanes, even through K town.  Thanks for everyone's advice.

While it is certainly true that Austin is not Andersonville, a couple of years ago, as my girlfriend and I were leaving her apartment on Glenwood in Andersonville, a gunfight went right by her front door - a guy running past on the sidewalk with another guy in a car chasing him and shooting at him.

El Dorado said:

I noticed all those 'Safe Passage" crossing signs the other day on my commute home. I take Odgen all the way from downtown to 'burb Cicero. Only in Chicago could this sort of thing happen. Why can't the Ceasefire guys help out with these "crossings"? They got a million dollar grant from the feds. Yaj, I would be on high alert when biking because the West side is not Andersonville. I saw the aftermath of a shooting on Odgen & Kedzie and it really shook me up.

Nice!

yaj 7.4 said:

I'm happy to report that the Damen to Washington to Laramie route worked well this morning.  I had no problems on the Washington or Warren bike lanes, even through K town.  Thanks for everyone's advice.

Glad to hear it.

yaj 7.4 said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service