The Chainlink

Views: 997

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So let me see if I've got this right - we need to ban pedicabs from the loop during rush hours and ban them completely from Michigan and State downtown, because of unspecified "congestion" and "safety" issues with their operation. But when Segway tours cause demonstrable conflicts with pedestrian traffic, his solution is to put them exactly where they don't belong - i.e., in the street - forcing bike traffic into the lane. I mean, never mind putting slow, tourist-driven Segways so close to car traffic. Anyone who knows what these tours are like knows that's a bad idea.

This guy doesn't know what he's doing, does he?

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!!!!!!

Perhaps the Segways need a  homing feature. If an impact is detected, they proceed to an EMS-accessible pickup point.

Why not close Randolph off entirely to anything but Segways? 

What? Change public policy for the convenience of one small commercial interest? In Chicago?

;-)

which alderman first introduced the pedicab ordinance?

Makes me kind of wistful for Burton Natarus.

So the ordinance is for downtown but a lakeview alderman proposed it?

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Tom Tunney

Julie Hochstadter said:

It may not have been introduced by Reilly, but he was definitely in favor of it, in principle. He apparently voted against advancing from committee - only because it didn't go far enough, thinking it should cover a broader geographical area at more times. 

Julie Hochstadter said:

Simon, 

Sounds like for the pedicab ordinance it was Tunney in lakeview who proposed it, which is surprising since it was written for an ordinance related to the pedicabs downtown, correct?  

Now that I think about it, there was more to the ordinance change than the location bans, but that seemed to be the largest part that irked pedicab drivers (or maybe just us cyclists) who found the fact that they decided to ban pedicabs from certain areas but not taxicabs.  See below.

From the city of chicago website

Pedicabs may not operate in the Loop during weekday rush hours (between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. and
between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m)

Pedicabs may not operate on Michigan Avenue and State Street from Congress Parkway to Oak Street

Simon Phearson said:

It may not have been introduced by Reilly, but he was definitely in favor of it, in principle. He apparently voted against advancing from committee - only because it didn't go far enough, thinking it should cover a broader geographical area at more times. 

Julie Hochstadter said:

IIRC, the reason for the disconnect was that the ordinance would give aldermen the ability to impose restrictions within their wards. So Tunney proposed an ordinance with a trial run downtown, with an eye to imposing it in his own ward. 

There was definitely more to the ordinance than the geographic ban, including an onerous requirement not only to get a driver's license but to have had it for at least a year. But the geographic ban was probably the most problematic and aimed at putting people out of business.

Julie Hochstadter said:

Simon, 

Sounds like for the pedicab ordinance it was Tunney in lakeview who proposed it, which is surprising since it was written for an ordinance related to the pedicabs downtown, correct?  

Now that I think about it, there was more to the ordinance change than the location bans, but that seemed to be the largest part that irked pedicab drivers (or maybe just us cyclists) who found the fact that they decided to ban pedicabs from certain areas but not taxicabs.  See below.

From the city of chicago website

Pedicabs may not operate in the Loop during weekday rush hours (between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. and
between 4 p.m. and 6 p.m)

Pedicabs may not operate on Michigan Avenue and State Street from Congress Parkway to Oak Street

Simon Phearson said:

Julie Hochstadter said:

I'll be eager to see the segway riders navigate cars stopped in the bike lanes.  Now that will lead to some interesting conflicts.  

Why not? Segways already ride in Millennium Park, where bikes are banned. Just what we need is more motor vehicles in bike lanes!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service