The Chainlink

Here.

What do you think? Would it weaken the seat post? (I'm not sure, may be the idea is to make a special one for this thingy.)

Views: 1001

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like a mighty thin cable that could easily be compromised by a small bolt-cutter or large scissors.

Two problems I see:  1)  I don't like cable locks.  2)How many seatpost sizes are they going to have?  There are dozens of seatpost gauges out there.

Yeah, I saw this yesterday.  Lousy idea. Lousy lock. I decided if this gets funded, I'm going to start a promotion on Kickstarter to sell laminated dog poop.

Hahahahahaha

Kevin C 4.1 mi said:

Yeah, I saw this yesterday.  Lousy idea. Lousy lock. I decided if this gets funded, I'm going to start a promotion on Kickstarter to sell laminated dog poop.

I had conceived of the idea with progressively higher pledge levels "earning" the donors progressively larger breeds of dog poop from Chihuahua up to Neapolitan Mastiff (lift with your legs).

But exploding dog poop is a nice touch as well. I believe there's an opportunity out there to profit from our current climate of populist rage. Exploding dog poop might be just the ticket.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Go partially laminated with a fuse. Get revenge without getting your hands dirty.

Kevin C 4.1 mi said:

Worst primary lock ever; that thing is a joke.  I have asked them the following via Kickstarter;

'How can you consider this to be a suitable lock design for any urban area?

Cable that small can be cut through with simple wire cutters in less than 30 seconds; I know because I have tried and done it. The smallest bolt cutters, or even lobber style wire cutters, can cut cable that size rather easily.

In a world where u-locks are attacked with cordless angle grinders do you really think it is responsible marketing to claim this is anything but the lowest level of security?'

Seems like an item that would only be effective in deterring the most amateur or inept bike thieves.

Actually I revert my previous comments.

It's a great lock, I hope tons of people buy them.

I also hope those people lock up next to my bike in droves; I will be safe from theft.

Carrying a bike lock may suck but carrying any cable to lock your bike sucks more.

Yes, totally inadequate for urban use. But there are parts of the country where bike theft is probably 100% a crime of opportunity by bored punks. In those places, this lock may be overkill.

I meant her no harm

When I left her unlocked Outside the Orange Street food farm

I was just runnin' in, didn't think I'd be that long
I came out, she was gone

And all that was there was some bored old dog

Leashed up to the place where your bicycle had been

Guess we'll never see poor Madeleine again
Let this be consolation, Steven

That all the while you were in England

I treated her with care and respect and gave her lots of love

And I was usually pretty good 'bout locking her up
And where has she gone?

Well, I bet she's on the bottom

Of a Frenchtown pond

Rudely abused on some hescher's joyride
So I wrote you this song

In the hopes that you'd forgive me even though it was wrong

Being so careless with a thing so great

And taking your poor Madeleine away, away

Decemberists Apology Song

As a design notion it's pretty great, In a tubular frame there is a lot of space that for the most part goes unused.  I do like it as a concept but have seen cable locks go down to garden shears.

This is the best 'lock' going

http://youtu.be/kvc0A_cWUCU

Which works as a lift

My theory on bike locks is "Competitive Deterrence" it just comes down to whose bike is easier to steal, yours or the one next to it.  I do the double ULock and never had a problem

H

I guess they could make an argument that it's a convenient second lock for securing your other wheel, or low-risk situations, like popping into a store for a minute or parking somewhere you'll be keeping an eye on the bike, or locations with low bike theft rate. In Tokyo bike theft is relatively rare so everybody uses low-security locks. In NYC, the normal Krypto mini locks we use here just don't cut it, and it's assumed that, even if you use a higher security lock, like a New York Chain, if you leave your bike outside long enough in, say, Midtown, a professional thief will gank it. Boulevard Bikes doesn't sell cable locks, since they're generally too easy to cut to use as a primary lock. But they did sell lightweight Tokyo-style aluminum mini locks for use as a second lock for your other wheel. They always warned the customer that these aluminum locks weren't secure enough for use as your primary lock.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service