The Chainlink

Hi all,
This site is really growing (up to 340 members now)!

I don't want to spam this site, but want to do some shameless self-promotion.

It was chilly and damp this morning. As the weather gets cooler, wetter and grimier dirt and salt are going to start to stick to every part of your bike whether you're riding fixed, singlespeed, gears, fenders or no fenders.

I make a biodegradeable, non-toxic degreaser locally (in Chicago) that is very useful for cleaning up your bike. It will penetrate your the nooks in your chain, and will clean out any grease and grit in any parts on your bike. It rinses clean with water and doesn't leave any residue. Simple Green and the stuff at Performance will clean your parts okay, but really aren't as effective as my degreaser. It will also help remove sticky stuff like the residue left over from stickers, and will clean engine blocks and printing presses.

Right now, I'm sponsoring the Half Acre Cycling Team and my product can be found in Rapid Transit, Smart Bike Parts and Yojimbos Garage.

If you're interested in my product, check out my site www.eldukedegreaser.com.

I'll be at some of the local CX races this season with some sample bottles of my product. Please come check out my site and stop and say hi if you see me. Thanks for your interest!

Views: 393

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I bought some of this product ~6 months ago at Rapid Transit. Good stuff.
Cycling Friends,
The following shops now have El Duke Degreaser in stock:

Rapid Transit
Cycle Smithy
Yojimbos Garage
Smart Bike Parts

Winter's coming on, and soon the roads will be saltier than the crumbs at the bottom of a bag of pretzels. We (El Duke and the shops above) appreciate your business.
YES. El Duke keeps my bike lookin bling bling - if you have a bike you need a bottle
I don't know if this is the proper thread for this question, but I've heard that Chicago and other cities will be using sand more frequently than salt this year, because of high prices of salt and the fact that we went through so much last year. Is cleaning off sand any different than salt? Are different products needed?
I don't know what they'll be using this winter for the streets, but Chicago is notorious for really salting the streets. Salt helps politicians win elections, or so I've heard.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) salt works really well for clearing the streets, sand only really provides traction. The salt will probably wash off your bike easier since it's water soluble. Sand will get in your drivetrain and help wear it down faster.

The degreaser is most useful for cleaning out dirt and grit that's stuck in grease (old chain lube etc.). It'll help release the stuck dirt. Either way, when it's wet out, your bike will get a lot dirtier than it will when it's dry.
I have used it on everybike I have owned in the last 2 years. Love it!
Air hoses are great for cleaning out dust and dirt. Rapid Transit has an air hose for folks to use for cleaning off their bikes on the shop floor.

High pressure water is a bad idea, because it can force water into places that it should not be.

M.A.R.K. said:
Cleaning off sand is the pits.. Much like taking your derailer(if you even know how)apart to clean it. Idk what really gets sand off, but I would think just a high pressure hose, or even high pressure air hose, but how many people have that just sitting around in the winter thats not frozen up. I had no problem getting sand off my bike last season with some cleaner/degreaser/mineral spirits, but the drivetrain and your chain are a different story.

heather stratton said:
I don't know if this is the proper thread for this question, but I've heard that Chicago and other cities will be using sand more frequently than salt this year, because of high prices of salt and the fact that we went through so much last year. Is cleaning off sand any different than salt? Are different products needed?
El Duke is the stuff! (replace w/appropriate expletive) - this is non-toxic and works better than any citrus based degreaser that I have ever tried. It leaves a slight film, but I find this a good thing - it helps to shed contaminates from the street and keeps corrosion at bay. I like to dilute it with water and use it with a spray bottle (why waste it?). But I still use it full strength with really tenacious grease.

My favorite degreaser - as well as all the other mechanics at Rapid Transit.

Also a favorite at West Town Bikes!

Locally made to boot!

Best,

Nick Wilson
El Dukes and a Sham-wow. Now that's WOW!

Nick (Duke): does anyone sell the large bottles?
Just one size for now. We were doing 32 oz bottles for awhile, but no one has ordered them.

vxla said:
El Dukes and a Sham-wow. Now that's WOW!

Nick (Duke): does anyone sell the large bottles?
Ok, I'll just get a few bottles then.
Just did a drivetrain cleanup this past weekend using El Duke for the first time. Better than any other bio friendly cleaner I've tried. Took like 1/3 volume wise and effort wise of what I would normally get into with Simple Green.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service