The Chainlink

I saw that there wasn't a thread dedicated to CM!

I'm sure this probably wont apply for most on this board, but just in case anyone is still not aware of critical mass: This is a really fun event to promote awareness of bicycle culture and the importance of sharing the roads. The ride happens the last Friday of every month. Here is a link to the Chicago ride site: http://chicagocriticalmass.org/.

I am interested in everyone's agenda in riding. I know some riders out there (like me) are in it for the fun and camaraderie of it all...anyone do it for another reason?

Views: 196

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Plan is to meet at south side of Picasso statue.
I agree in a lot of ways with you both on the points made. I guess I just cant however justify "hogging" the roads without at least a vague sense of trying to change people's mind about our right to be on the road. Otherwise I feel like we are just their saying "nah nah nah, you cant move your car...take that for what you maybe did or did not do to some or all or none of us."

Something interesting to note about last month's ride is the irate response left on the site by someone who's charity event was irreparably harmed as a result of the ride...I think it is interesting to reflect on this given this conversation.

http://chicagocriticalmass.org/node/130050

h3 said:
M.A.R.K. said:
How can you share the roads, or promote awareness of sharing the roads when you hog them, blow lights, ride in oncoming traffic and in general, whatever tomfoolery you'd like?

Don't get me wrong, I love CM and taking over the streets like they are mine for a change, where I can actually feel safe within the group, I just think the post is a little misleading perhaps.?.?.

If and when I do ride critical mass, it's to celebrate bikes with other people, noting more.

One's reasons for riding CM are always personal and always valid.
That said, after close to a decade of riding CM I'd echo M.A.R.K.'s sentiments.
We're out their for us, to celebrate and reinforce our own culture, and charge our own batteries so we can brave the hostile streets individually the other 29 days of the month- not to show anyone anything.
awesome!!! can't wait to meet some fellow chainlinkers!

Julie Hochstadter said:
Plan is to meet at south side of Picasso statue.
I rarely ride the CM because I work in the burbs, but when I do I have a blast. I know a lot of people who have become more critical of the Critical Mass (for whatever reasons). Yes, the traffic is interrupted and people are inconvenienced for 15-20 minutes (the most) at a particular intersection, but I dont think that any of the massers would prevent an ambulance or a police car from going through !? I am sure that most people downtown already know about the CM and are not that bothered by it.
Yea, in my experience they look at it like a parade, coming out of their offices to watch and cheer along.

I am sad when it truly gets in someones way though.

EJ said:
I am sure that most people downtown already know about the CM and are not that bothered by it.
absolutely. I appreciate the frankness of what you are saying. Not to quote Weezer or anything but -- say it ain't so.

Video_Drome said:
What better way to gain positive attention to bikes then BRAKING (haha) the laws!!!!

CM is fun, no doubt about it. 300 drunk people riding bikes is a good time. But what leads me to think that CM is actually detrimental to the cause is simple and down right obvious: running reds, corking streets (like every damn one) and basically being rude and obnoxious to other drivers. Just remember, its a ROAD FOR CARS, we're just simply guests, and as guests we should take our shoes off and not get mud on the carpet.

holy shit! did i just say the road is for cars? yes, i sure did. Because guess what, stop lights, yellow lines, white lines, medians, tell me that is made for cars. I might ride my bike like an ass, swerving, riding close to cars, yelling at cars, but one thing is for sure, I never forget what i'm riding on, and who it was meant for.

So please, don't get me wrong, its nice that we're trying to fight for our rights (to party!!!) to ride in the street sans traffic, but I don't care if you have a million man march for bikes, the roads will always be for the cars as sad as that is to say.

did that make any sense?
anyone after partying?
I may join the ride after 7 depending on the level of noise and deadhex hearing my cell phone call.

I know the Environmental Encroachment people have afterparties. On division. They hand out fliers at the meet point.
I am not wearing spandex unless there is an after party.

Video_Drome said:
2slowT-wreck said:
anyone after partying?

isnt the whole thing a party? can you have an afterparty for an afterparty party?

party party party party party party

P.A R T Y? becuase i gotttaaaaaaa
ohh ohh
*raises hand*
I know what game this is....the game of ADHD. That explains a lot.

Aside from that, I ride CM for the social aspect. I enjoy riding bikes, talking to people that are riding bikes, and doing it for hours. Think about how many calories you burn at a single CM.

Video_Drome said:
2slowT-wreck said:
anyone after partying?

isnt the whole thing a party? can you have an afterparty for an afterparty party?

party party party party party party

P.A R T Y? becuase i gotttaaaaaaa
no way, dude! roads are for both... when there isn't a designated bike lane, that space of concrete beneathe you is for all to share... it is illegal for bikes to ride on the sidewalks, so what shall we do? fly? the road is for all of us equally - it would be best if cyclists were friendly and empathetic when ignorant drivers yell to get off the road, but that's pretty tough to do when there are so many of them

hummers don't own the roads more than hybrids just because they are bigger, and cars don't own the roads more than bikes just because they are more dangerous - bullies don't own the playground - they just make it less fun

Video_Drome said:
Just remember, its a ROAD FOR CARS, we're just simply guests, and as guests we should take our shoes off and not get mud on the carpet.

holy shit! did i just say the road is for cars?
whatever, cyclists were here first.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service