It's time to crank on the sticker design for the coming 2013 Bike Winter cycling season . . . typically we start with a little open brainstorming, and see if we can get any new folks to come out of the woodwork and offer up drafting or design skills to make the ideas reality.
Our target date for sticker distribution is the big 15th Anniversary Chicago Critical Mass on Friday September 28th.
The deadline for submission for sticker proposals will be Friday September 7 2012, with voting taking place the week afterwards.
Lookee here for past stickers/mascots/slogans:
Go ahead and discuss away, but if you'd like to cut to the chase and design a sticker proposal, here are some considerations that will need to be taken into account:
1)These stickers eat up a sizable chunk of our hard-earned funds, and their main purpose is to be seen and read easily so that they can fulfill their function as advocacy tools- thus:
a) Proposed designs need to clearly, prominently, and legibly, at a glance, even in low light conditions, say Bike Winter 2013 (Not Chicago Bike Winter! we have other cities that we like to support with these). Bike Winter is two separate words.
b) Need to clearly, prominently, and legibly, at a glance, even in low light conditions, say bikewinter.org. (hint- the URL is too small on practically every initial submission).
2) Size is 1.5"X 4.25".
Can be oriented horizontally or vertically-- see sticker gallery for examples
3) Should not violate copyrights or contain elements used without permission.
4) In keeping with tradition stickers may feature a 'new' mascot and a slogan that ideally would be a corny play on words, but this is not a requirement. In keeping with tradition designs/themes should also not resemble past years' stickers but present a new look for the coming season.
5) Proposals need to be submitted in final, production-ready form by Friday September 7 2012, either by posting to the sticker/mascot thread in thechainlink.org bikewinter group, or as an attachment sent to sent to email@example.com. Please try to reduce your image file to under 500k in size before posting to the bikewinter list.
6) Submissions not meeting 1 through 3 above will not be included in the voting.
Voting will take place via SurveyMonkey and will be conducted under the supervision of the Bike Winter leadership.
7) The winner will be determined by a tally of votes on Friday September 14; by submitting a design the creator hands off ownership to the Bike Winter effort and its volunteers for use in promoting the Bike Winter effort; creators agree that they will assist promptly if their design is chosen in any minor changes needed to assure visibility, compatibility with the printer's requirements, etc., and/or authorize others to make said changes.
8) Designs submitted in the past may be resubmitted with necessary updates, but must be submitted by the original artist
Replies are closed for this discussion.
To all-- voting will go live sometime =after= Friday night-- it will be announced. Please try to refrain from 'ranking' the submissions for now. Further submissions encouraged until Friday at midnight-- get 'em in!
To Andrew-- feel free to repost without the link to the 'poll'-- I know there was a little note there that it was a sample but it would be way safer to include options for testing purposes that don't resemble bike winter stickers... stomach aches enough without the chance of people thinking they already voted. Or actually a separate thread about the massup poll might be better-- would like to keep this one focused on submissions. See e-mail.
Are all the submissions conforming to the 4.25 X 1.5" dimension?
The cutting process tends to be not 100% perfect, so I'd be very careful with any bleed and be sure to keep the margins wide enough to allow for cutting variances.